Places of interest Jindřichův Hradec
Selection of the monuments of Jindřichův Hradec
THE BALBIN SQUARE AND ITS SURROUNDINGS:
- Jesuit Seminary (it is a museum since 1882).
In the Museum, you can see the most popular mechanical nativity scene in the world. The Krýza Nativity was created by a citizen of Jindřichův Hradec, the stocking and sock master craftsman Tomáš Krýza († 1918). This remarkable work is mentioned in the Guinness Book of Records. During exhibitions, the entire apparatus is turned on every hour and showed in operation.
- Jesuit College (now The National Museum of Photography)
Many celebrities and well-known artists, such as Bohuslav Balbín (historian and educator), Adam Václav Michna of Otradovice (composer, poet), Matěj Vaclav Šteyer (publisher of Czech Catholic books, linguist, translator and poet), and František II Rákoczi (the "sedmihradský" Duke and the leader of the anti-Habsburg uprising in Hungary) and others.
- Nežárecká Gate (formerly known as the Linz Gate)
- Landfras printer shop (an empire building , it reminds us of a significant citizen Landfras Alois)
The landmark of Jindřichův Hradec is the 68.3 metre high city tower of the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The tower probably dates back to the 14th century. It was destroyed by fire in 1801 and then restored again. The shape of the tower has remained the same ever since. Anyone who climbs the 153 stairs is rewarded with a beautiful view of the town and its surroundings. The originally gothic Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary was built during the 1st half of the14th century. From the architectonic point of view, a very interesting sight is the Špulířská Chapel. The church holds the remains of St. Hippolyt, the patron of the city. Also the Lords of Hradec and the Slavat family members are buried here. The baroque poet, organist and composer Adam Václav Michna of Otradovice (1600-1676) played and worked here. It is interesting to point out that the 15th meridian runs directly through the corner of the church.
THE PEACE SQUARE:
- Old City hall - the city crest and turret, The current shape of the City hall came into existence thanks to the reconstruction done in 1807 (by architect Josef Schaffer).
- Langer house - well-preserved arcade with a diamond dome and valuable renaissance sgraffito facade (1579).
- Hotel Concertino – Zlata Husa (Golden Goose) - complex of historic buildings, the memorial placard located here serves as remembrance of Adam Michna of Otradovice, who was born here.
- Statue of the Holy Trinity - 20 metre high, built by Matthew Strachovský between (1764-1766). Generous baroque sculptures, depict the Holy Trinity and also the theme of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. Below the sculptures you can see archangels Michael, Gabriel and Rafael and many saints beneath them – they represent national saints, protectors from plagues or patrons of the city.
- Church of St. John the Baptist - The church is rightly considered one of the most valuable Gothic monuments of South Bohemia. It was founded in the 3rd quarter of the 13th century. Fresco decorations.
- Chapel of St. Nicholas (sv. Mikuláš) - it is an outstanding work of high gothic.
- Monastery of Minorities - built in the 14th century, gothic paintings in the cloisters, and in the younger hospital, which has two spacious rooms on the ground floor.
THE CITY FORTIFICATION WALLS:
- Nežárecká Gate (formerly known as the Linz Gate)
- Circular bastion
- Original gothic tower
THE SQUARE OF T. G. MASARYK AND ITS SURROUNDINGS:
- Střelnice - cultural centre.
- Husovy sady (Hus park gardens) - in 1923, a statute of Jan Hus was placed here.
MORE CHURCH SIGHTSEEING AND MONUMENTS IN THE CITY:
- Franciscan Monastery with the Church of St. Catherine - was built in gothic style, and was founded in 1478 by Jindřich IV. The interiors of baroque side-chapels of St. Barbara, St Antony and St. Porcinkule are very valuable.
- Church of the Holy Trinity - was built between 1590-1594 on the location of the newly founded town cemetery, but the cemetery was closed during the 1960s and turned into a park.
- St. James Church - the neo-gothic church (1860) was built on the site of a previously destroyed church, which was built here already in the 16th century. The way of the cross leads to the church.
- Jewish cemetery - is situated on the outskirts of town. The oldest tombstone dates back to the 1st half of the 17th century.
One of the best known and most successful companies in Jindřichův Hradec. Focuses on the production of spirits and syrups and it belongs among the five largest companies active in this field in Czech Republic.
The assortment of products includes various kinds of spirits, liqueurs and fruit syrups. Tuzemák spirit and Black vodka won first place and the Jury Prize in a competition called "Chutná hezky Jihočesky“ – "Taste the best from Hradec".
Below the castle, on Mlýnská Street, you can find a small family workshop producing spirits since 1920. The most famous product from all 90 types of spirits is Hill's Absinth, which was created according to old family recipes of Radomil Hill (also the creator of the Rum with the sail boat).
The Tapestry Ateliers, s.r.o. company is located on the riverside of the Nežárka River, below the castle. The company, famous for its manual production and restoration of tapestries (woven wall tapestries), was founded by textile designer Marie Teinitzerová (1879-1960) in 1910.
Weather forecast from Yr, delivered by the Norwegian Meteorological Institute and the NRK